Friday, February 18, 2011

"February the Month of Changes"

"The Old Truck"
Time has a way of passing you bye if your not careful to document it along the way. For the last 32 years I've pointed my camera lens at many different scenes, life styles, objects, beauty, destruction, and wildlife while living on the Outer Banks of Carolina. I've witnessed the changing seasons, storms, heat waves, droughts, winters that never seemed to end and every year it's been this month of February that I love the most. The reason it never fails to give us the winter we wish would end along with a week of spring like temps to assure us that just around the corner our beaches will come alive and all that is new will cycle thru again.
"A Currituck Landscape"
I spent many years snow skiing Snowshoe, Killington, Brice, Wintergreen, Blue Knob on the east as well as Aspen Highlands, Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone, in Colorado, Snow Bird, Solitude, Park City and my favorite Alta in Utah. It's safe to say I loved to play in the powder.
Now that my knees have harden I'm find behind the glass showing off the white stuff, no matter what the subject is.
"Nesting"
And then came week two of February 2011 with temps lingering in the low 60's, this means short sleeve shirts, exposing what was once tan skin now a powdery pale at best but who cares it's short sleeves man ! Outside is the place to be we've got eagles laying eggs, green blades of grass begining to shoot up from the frozen tundra (well maybe not so frozen) anyway there was 3-4 inches of fresh snow a couple of days ago pictures prove it.
"Ground Foliage"
For the last two days I have spent the entire day morning to sunset shooting ducks, swans, turtles, you name it, if I saw it I had a lens on it. I truly enjoy shooting all sorts of photography but I have to say I'm at peace alone in the woods, down in the marches, or just walking around searching and watching the many species of wildlife that inhabit our islands, and seashores.
"The Coot"
For the past two evenings the sunset light has been fantastic turning the marches into golden reeds sometimes as if on fire bouncing off the water as blue as the skies above. Here a Coot swims thru stopping from time to time munching on the new grasses under the flooded impoundments as their stop over will soon be ending in a few short weeks. Well there is no need in hoping for spring to start now knowing that winter is taking a little break before reminding us not to put away our foul weather gear but none the less I for one have taken full advantage of God's handy work as often as I can.
Enjoy

No comments: